[Python-Dev] Proposed changes to provide compression support for rotated log files

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Dec 15 19:40:57 CET 2011

On 12/15/2011 5:31 AM, Vinay Sajip wrote:
> some changes in the rotating file handlers, as outlined here:
>
> http://plumberjack.blogspot.com/2011/12/improved-flexibility-for-log-file.html
>
> The changes (including tests) are almost ready to check in, but I thought I'd
> give any one here who's interested a chance to comment, in case they can spot
> any shortcomings of the approach I suggest.

It appears you are adding two methods to do the same thing. One is to
subclass and override one or two functions. The other is to define one
or two custom functions and attach as attributes. Both seem equally
easy. (Actually, subclassing takes one line less.) Are both really needed?

--
Terry Jan Reedy