[Python-Dev] MSI: Remove dependency from win32com.client module (issue4080047)

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 15:35:41 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 01:35, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Code review system provides a better space for discussion if we are
> >> speaking about simple code cleanup. To me polluting tracker with the
> >> issues that are neither bugs nor feature requests only makes bug
> >> triaging process and search more cumbersome.
> >
> > If it's not a bug or a feature request, why does it need to change?
>
> Because code cleanup patches pave road for more complex pieces of
> work. Clean code makes patches easier to review. It saves developer's
> time and as a result useful patches are integrated into codebase more
> quickly.
> --
> anatoly t.

Code cleanup patches, if you mean minor refactoring, are generally not where
developer time is best spent. We could all come in and make 50 check-ins
each of refactoring but the net benefit is even, if not negative. Yes, clean
code is easier to work with, easier to review, etc., but keep in mind we're
working with multiple branches that also need to be kept in sync.

Refactoring some function in py3k should probably be replicated in
release31-maint, and possibly release27-maint, otherwise patching between
the branches becomes more time intensive. Adding time intensive work with no
net gain is probably the last thing we want to do.