[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88395 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/asyncore.py

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Sun Feb 13 15:32:16 CET 2011

On 13/02/2011 14:23, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2011 19:18:52 +1000
> Nick Coghlan<ncoghlan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> If there is an essential subset of the API that the Twisted devs think
>> would be a suitable replacement for asyncore, while providing a more
>> straightforward migration path into Twisted itself, then it certainly
>> makes sense to include it.
> That subset would be the reactor (actually, the various reactor
> implementations) and its close dependencies. However, that might
> already amount to a sizeable chunk of code :-) (for good reason, of
> course: even Twisted Core does much, much more than asyncore).

It would then be subject to python-dev development policy rather than
twisted dev policy (which is even stricter!). Would the twisted devs
*really* want that? We could use the same processes we have for
"externally maintained" libraries, but they have without fail caused us
problems. This is usually due to maintainers leaving or going dark,
which *probably* wouldn't be the case with twisted, nonetheless we've
been burned enough times to be cautious about adding new "externally
maintained" packages to the standard library.

Not to mention that the twisted tests have quite a few "non standard
library" dependencies, so integrating it would be non-trivial. That's
after it has been ported to Python 3.

The other issue is that just because we provide an alternative doesn't
mean that everyone automatically stops using asyncore and migrates. That
means the maintenance burden of asyncore doesn't necessarily go away, we
just add a new maintenance burden (albeit one with lots of advantages -
certainly in principle it would be *great* to have twisted-core in the
standard library).

>> The other possible sticking point I can see is that I don't know how
>> Twisted's licensing works - is there anyone with the legal authority
>> to appropriately license the code to the PSF for inclusion in the
>> standard library?
> Twisted's license is MIT-like so I don't think there would be any
> so-called "licensing" problem. :-)

That's not sufficient (IIUC). The code *authors* (copyright owners) have
to agree, and probably have to sign contributor agreements. :-) Twisted
have gone through an IP management process already I believe, so it is
certainly possible.

Michael