[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] r88395 - python/branches/py3k/Lib/asyncore.py

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Feb 13 15:51:01 CET 2011

> It would then be subject to python-dev development policy rather than
> twisted dev policy (which is even stricter!). Would the twisted devs
> *really* want that? We could use the same processes we have for
> "externally maintained" libraries, but they have without fail caused us
> problems.

Oh, I agree with you. -1 on any new externally maintained library.

> The other issue is that just because we provide an alternative doesn't
> mean that everyone automatically stops using asyncore and migrates.

Of course. asyncore's problem is not that its a maintenance burden, it's
that it's really subpar compared to everything else out there.
That said, Giampaolo has committed to taking it forward, so perhaps the
3.3 version of asyncore will be much (?) better.

> >> The other possible sticking point I can see is that I don't know how
> >> Twisted's licensing works - is there anyone with the legal authority
> >> to appropriately license the code to the PSF for inclusion in the
> >> standard library?
> > Twisted's license is MIT-like so I don't think there would be any
> > so-called "licensing" problem. :-)
> >
> That's not sufficient (IIUC). The code *authors* (copyright owners) have
> to agree, and probably have to sign contributor agreements. :-)

Well, of course. Or at least that's the theory. In practice, the algebra
of open source licenses is quite well-known and non-copyleft code
usually can be combined freely without any worries.
(and do you think the zlib authors signed a contributor agreement for
inclusion in Python distributions? :-))

> Twisted
> have gone through an IP management process already I believe, so it is
> certainly possible.

"IP management process"? What is that horrible jargon supposed to
mean? :)
I don't think the Twisted people are into legalese, and I've never
signed an agreement when contributing (admittedly little) code to
Twisted. They did relicense Twisted once (from LGPL to MIT-like), but
that probably means they asked every past contributor.

Regards

Antoine.