[Python-Dev] Are these PEP complete?: 389, 391, 3108, 3135

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 23:01:28 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 3:20 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 4:52 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As the subject line asks, is there anything preventing the following
>> PEPs from being marked Final?
>>
>>  SA  389  argparse - New Command Line Parsing Module              Bethard
>>  SA  391  Dictionary-Based Configuration For Logging              Sajip
>>  SA 3108  Standard Library Reorganization                         Cannon
>>  SA 3121  Extension Module Initialization and Finalization        von Löwis
>>  SA 3135  New Super
>> Spealman, Delaney, Ryan
>
> Somebody (not me, not necessarily the same person for each PEP) needs
> to check each of these PEPs for how well they match the implemented
> reality and report back here. (Unless you already did this and are
> basically giving them a certificate of correctness with your post?)

I did have a look and those listed are the ones that seemed to be
finished. Before moving them to Final, I figured I would ask for
additional opinions in case I had missed something and they still had
some elements that needed to be implemented for 3.3.

As it turns out, I had missed the incomplete profile/cProfile merge
for PEP 3108.

>> It would be good to clear the decks before new PEPs start to be
>> accepted for inclusion in 3.3.
>
> Why?

It's mainly just a continuation of the PEP 0 cleanup I started a while
back, trying to make it clearer which major items are still on the
to-do list for 3.3 and which were completed for 3.2.

I have an associated PEP 1 update I'd like to propose as well (giving
the API/metadata standardisation PEPs a dedicated "Consensus" state to
better separate them from Accepted language and standard library
feature PEPs), but I need to actually write it first.

Cheers,
Nick.