[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] devguide: Strip out all generic svn instructions from the FAQ. It's not only

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 07:18:20 CET 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 04:13, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 5:55 AM, brett.cannon <python-checkins at python.org>
> wrote:
> > brett.cannon pushed 72a286c3452d to devguide:
> >
> > http://hg.python.org/devguide/rev/72a286c3452d
> > changeset:   13:72a286c3452d
> > user:        Brett Cannon <brett at python.org>
> > date:        Tue Jan 04 11:48:38 2011 -0800
> > summary:
> >  Strip out all generic svn instructions from the FAQ. It's not only
> > silly to duplicate instructions that can be found all over the
> > internet that are maintained by the creators of the tools under
> > discussion, but it's a maintenance burden that is unneeded.
>
> Your call as the author, but please reconsider this one. I've found it
> *hugely* convenient over the years to have these task oriented answers
> in the FAQ. The problem with the answers all over the internet is that
> I (or someone new to our source control tool) may not know enough to
> ask the right question, and hence those answers may as well not exist.
> Even if these FAQ answers don't always provide everything needed, they
> usually provide enough information to let me search for the full
> answers.

I agree with Nick here. I also found these instructions useful in the past,
although I'm quite familiar with SVN. New devs interested in contributing to
Python but not too familiar with the source-control tool it's using at the
time will benefit even more from this.

As for maintenance nightmare, I'm sure it's simple enough to attract
contributors. For example, I can volunteer to maintain it.

Eli