[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] devguide: Strip out all generic svn instructions from the FAQ. It's not only

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jan 5 10:08:44 CET 2011

On 1/5/2011 1:18 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 04:13, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com

>     Your call as the author, but please reconsider this one. I've found it
>     *hugely* convenient over the years to have these task oriented answers
>     in the FAQ. The problem with the answers all over the internet is that
>     I (or someone new to our source control tool) may not know enough to
>     ask the right question, and hence those answers may as well not exist.
>     Even if these FAQ answers don't always provide everything needed, they
>     usually provide enough information to let me search for the full
>     answers.
>

> I agree with Nick here. I also found these instructions useful in the
> past, although I'm quite familiar with SVN. New devs interested in
> contributing to Python but not too familiar with the source-control tool
> it's using at the time will benefit even more from this.
>
> As for maintenance nightmare, I'm sure it's simple enough to attract
> contributors. For example, I can volunteer to maintain it.

As a complete neophyte at actually using a source code system, I found
the stripped-down step-by-step instructions useful even though I am
using TortoiseSVN. Even the TortoiseSVN help doc is a bit overwhelming
because it includes so much that I do not need to read. It would be a
bit like a beginning programmer trying to learn Python from the Langauge
Reference without having the Tutorial to read. (And even as an
experienced C programmer, I started with the latter.)

--
Terry Jan Reedy