[Python-Dev] API refactoring tracker field for Python4

Brian Curtin brian.curtin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 18:41:56 CET 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:20, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are many API changes and proposals that were forgotten and
> didn't get into Python 3, although they should be, because it was the
> only chance to change things with backwards compatibility break. For
> example http://bugs.python.org/issue1559549

That can be added in 3.3.
To answer your comment on the issue: no investigation is needed. It didn't
make it in yet because there was no code written for it. It's really not a
big deal, it happens all the time.

> This happened, because of poor bug management, where community doesn't
> play any role in determining which issues are desired.

The community absolutely plays a role in determining which issues are
desired. They do this by action when they want something. A patch says a
whole lot about desire.

> This mostly because of limitation of our tracker and desire of people
> to extend it to get damn "stars", module split, sorting, digging and
> tagging options.

I have no idea what any of this means.

I won't be surprised if things won't change in the next couple of
> years, that's why I'd like to propose a very small change, so that
> when time will come to create Python4 (and standard library won't be
> separated from interpreter by this time), everybody can get quickly
> get a list of proposed API enhancements and filter which are eligible
> for the next BC API break. This change is a simple "api-refactoring"
> flag that could be added to corresponding issues by tracker users.

I'm not sure I see the need for such a flag, as there are probably too few
cases for this in the first place.