[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:07:31 CEST 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
> I would say that would be a cool enhancement, as it could save a bit of
> typing, but I think the launcher is quite useful even without path
> traversal.

Two related points:

1. Walking PATH isn't necessary, but the cwd of the py process should
be inherited from the shell correctly. If it is, then 'py foo.py'
shouldn't need path traversal, it should just look in the current
directory. Using PATHEXT to turn 'foo.py' directly into an executable
command on PATH from any directory is different and out of scope for
the launcher.

2. The defined launched command line handling means that "py -m foo"
should also work, so long as the current directory is inherited
correctly.

Cheers,
Nick.