[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Glenn Linderman v+python at g.nevcal.com
Thu Jul 21 02:18:33 CEST 2011

On 7/20/2011 5:07 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Ethan Furman<ethan at stoneleaf.us>  wrote:
>> I would say that would be a cool enhancement, as it could save a bit of
>> typing, but I think the launcher is quite useful even without path
>> traversal.
> Two related points:
>
> 1. Walking PATH isn't necessary, but the cwd of the py process should
> be inherited from the shell correctly. If it is, then 'py foo.py'
> shouldn't need path traversal, it should just look in the current
> directory. Using PATHEXT to turn 'foo.py' directly into an executable
> command on PATH from any directory is different and out of scope for
> the launcher.

Sorry, I disagree that it is out of scope.  Looking in the current
directory is fine, when the script is there, but my scripts are seldom
in my data directories, and I want to run scripts (from the PATH) on
data that is in the CWD.  I consider this a _very common_ use case for
using scripts/programs, but then if you want to use py from the command
line to tweak which version of Python gets used to execute the script
(if the default one didn't work, for example, and you want to try a
different one), then suddenly, you have to find the path to the script,
and specify it explicitly.

> 2. The defined launched command line handling means that "py -m foo"
> should also work, so long as the current directory is inherited
> correctly.

Even if CWD is a data directory, and foo.py is somewhere on the path?