[Python-Dev] 3.2.1 encoding surprise

Mark Hammond skippy.hammond at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 02:11:43 CEST 2011

On 21/07/2011 10:02 AM, Glenn Linderman wrote:
> So this tells me that it didn't find a local py.ini (no surprise, I
> don't have one) but doesn't tell me that it did find or read
> c:\Windows\system32\py.ini much less whether I have the syntax correct
> for my [defaults] section.  It doesn't tell me that it didn't find a #!
> line (but there isn't one).

I'll have a go at enhancing the debug output for most of the above
(although note that if it *did* find a shebang line extra output would
have been generated.)

> Perhaps the problem is that there isn't one?  If it finds no virtual
> command, maybe it doesn't obey the [defaults] python=3 directive?  The
> PEP says it should act like '!#python' (I think the PEP meant
> '#!python', though????).  There is no " " after '!#python' in the PEP,
> so that disqualifies it from being a customized command, there is no
> '/usr/bin/' nor '/usr/bin/env ' in front of the 'python' so that means
> it is not a virtual command; and it is not a fully-qualified name, so it
> doesn't mean that case either.... looks like the PEP needs a bit of
> clarification here.

I'm not sure the PEP needs clarification - possibly just the
implementation ;)  But let me know if you think otherwise.

> I do have a python on my path, but it is 3.1.2, not 3.2.1 or 2.6.4, and
> it runs 2.6.4 as the output shows.

FYI, what is on the path isn't relevant to the launcher.

> And I would expect it to run 3.2.1
> with the [defaults] python=3 directive, since that is newer than 3.1.2,
> which is on my PATH.

It may be that your copy of the launcher is a little old - some changes
were pushed just yesterday (but I'm not sure if Vinay made a new
installer yet).  It has slightly better debug output (although generally
not what you are asking for yet) and better "cross-bittedness" support.

Cheers,

Mark