[Python-Dev] Convention on functions that shadow existing stdlib functions

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Jul 27 19:17:59 CEST 2011

On 7/27/2011 10:27 AM, Eli Bendersky wrote:

>>     Initially I was *for* documenting, but this thing with showing up
>>     in the index is a compelling counter-point.
>
>     "The basic version makes entries in the general index; if no index
>     entry is desired, you can give the directive option flag :noindex:."
>     (http://docs.python.org/documenting/markup.html#information-units)
>

> Ezio, this is also a good idea, but currently I really think placing
> this documentation in the devguide is probably the best approach. Now we
> have a very nice Devguide, and this documentation simply belongs there,
> and not in the user-visible portion of the official Python documentation.

You mean the dev guide only accessible online? It could be included in
HowTos (Help develop Python). If you are going to un-index the section,
whereever it is, please put the entries in alpha order instead of the
current jumble. Or is the current order somehow makes sense, an
alphabetical index at the top.

--
Terry Jan Reedy