[Python-Dev] packaging backport

Joe Amenta amentajo at msu.edu
Tue Jun 21 15:37:05 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 9:27 AM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 3:12 PM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
> wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:42:05 +0200, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tarek_Ziad=E9?= <
> ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Before I start to write my own refactoring tool, I was wondering if
> >> anyone here had some experience in this, and could give me some hints.
> >
> > Coul you could just write a 3to2 fixer?  I don't know how hard it is to
> > run just a selected set of fixers (so that you could use it to generate
> > python3 code), but it seems to me that renaming modules is something
> > that 3to2 (and 2to3, of course) should be good at.
>
> The one thing rope is good at is to find where a given variable name
> is used, and rename all occurrences recursively. So basically, when
> you rename an import, it renames all the code that uses it.
>
> I don't really know how 2to3/3to2 work but I assumed that it does not
> do this, but simply give you a hook for every visited node. IOW that
> looking for dependencies is to be done
>
> Cheers
> Tarek
>

> > --
> > R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com
> >

> --
> Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org

Yes, 2to3/3to2 does not do anything fancy like that.  The tools are purely
concerned with syntax, whereas renaming imports is semantic.  The good news
is that this line:

import packaging as _myPackaging

can be replaced by:

import distutils2 as _myPackaging

and code that uses _myPackaging will work.  I've attached a fixer that can
go into your lib3to2/fixes folder.  You should also edit fix_imports.py and
add the line:

"packaging" : "distutils2",

to the MAPPING dictionary near the top, then you can run 3to2 like this:

3to2 -fpackaging -fimports files_to_fix.py

(-w option to write changes to the files modified)

Hope this helps,
--Joe Amenta