[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Tue Jun 28 04:11:18 CEST 2011

Rob Cliffe <rob.cliffe at btinternet.com> writes:

> On 27/06/2011 15:08, R. David Murray wrote:

> > I guess what I'm saying is that I am more comfortable calling them
> > all attributes than calling them all members. The term 'members'
> > isn't used anywhere in the language itself, as far as I can recall,
> > whereas getattr and setattr are evidence that the language considers
> > them all attributes. I think we do the documentation readers a
> > disservice by obscuring that fact by using other terminology.

+1

> 'function attributes' ?  'def attributes' ?

−1. They don't have to be functions, and hence don't have to be created
by ‘def’.

> Or just stick with method attributes' ?

“callable attributes” describes exactly what they are, in terms that
will remain useful to the person learning Python.

--
 \          “‘Did you sleep well?’ ‘No, I made a couple of mistakes.’” |
  `\                                                    —Steven Wright |