[Python-Dev] Issue10403 - using 'attributes' instead of members in documentation

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:47:12 CEST 2011

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> Rob Cliffe <rob.cliffe at btinternet.com> writes:
>
>> 'function attributes' ?  'def attributes' ?
>
> -1. They don't have to be functions, and hence don't have to be created
> by 'def'.
>
>> Or just stick with method attributes' ?
>
> "callable attributes" describes exactly what they are, in terms that
> will remain useful to the person learning Python.

The usage of the object determines what we call it then, so what about
"state attributes" in the same vein as "callable attributes" (data vs.
method).  But it would be nice to have the names consistent across the
different contexts.

ABCMeta tests __isabstractmethod__ on each attribute of a class, not
just the methods, rather that __isabstractattribute__.  Perhaps
calling something a method attribute even when it isn't a function is
still okay.  Thus the pair could be "method and data attributes".
"method attribute" is a little redundant but calling it a "function
attribute" seems less consistent

-eric