[Python-Dev] Summer of Code: call for ideas and mentors

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Fri Mar 4 18:31:09 CET 2011

Am 04.03.2011 13:35, schrieb Antoine Pitrou:
> On Fri, 04 Mar 2011 09:35:38 +0100
> "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> Google Summer of Code is coming up again, and we will again
>> be participating. Arc Riley will setup infrastructure later
>> today, and we need to start thinking about possible projects.
>
> We've had a couple of people asking questions about GSoC on
> #python-dev. Each time I redirected them to Arc's personal email, since
> there seems to be no dedicated mailing-list for that. Is there a better
> way to inform them?

Not yet. The students worry too much: there is still plenty of time :-)
However, if they want to start contacting developers, and start
discussing ideas, and if they see Python core as a potential field of
activity, they should actually start talking on python-dev. The idea
is that they do not only bond with the mentor, but with the project.

In principle, talking on IRC is also a good idea, assuming any potential
mentors are listening there. Google recommends students to contact the
IRC channels. I personally don't use instant messaging usually, so
somebody else would need to give them his view on GSoC.

Likewise, if they want to contribute to some other project under the PSF
umbrella, they can start talking to the respective developers on the
respective channels.

Regards,
Martin