[Python-Dev] Please sync your feature branches

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun Mar 6 14:05:26 CET 2011

Hi,

> I assume Stefan was referring to the features/py3k-cdecimal clone
> rather than the cpython one. This is going to happen with all the
> server-side clones - we really only want "default" in the clone, but
> the maintenance branches will come along for the ride.  There are
> actually a few things related to server-side clone maintenance that
> I'm not entirely clear on:
> - is it OK to work on default, or does that cause problems with
> merging back later?

It's ok.

> - is there an easy way to close all the branches that aren't of any
> interest and avoid reopening them when merging from the cpython clone?

You could do that (see "hg help commit" for the "--close-branch"
option), but it can create new heads if you pull further changes on
these branches when pulling from the cpython clone.
So it's more annoyance than needed IMO.

> - how do we track changes in cpython:default while continuing? By
> pulling from cpython into our local feature clone and pushing back to
> the server-side clone?

Yes.

> Unrelated question: which is the "practice area"? Devguide says
> "test", but we also have "sandbox/cpython".

The devguide should probably be updated to mention "sandbox/cpython".
(that's a good practice item)

Regards

Antoine.