[Python-Dev] CPython hg transition complete

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Mar 6 18:34:06 CET 2011

    Antoine> This is sketched out in the devguide, I don't know if these
    Antoine> instructions help you:
    Antoine> http://docs.python.org/devguide/committing.html#forward-porting

Thanks.  There is one problem (for me, at least):

    Assuming you are doing all of your work in a single clone, do:

        hg update default
        hg merge 3.2
        # Fix any conflicts; compile; run the test suite
        hg commit

I normally have a sandbox for each branch (2.4 through head/default/trunk,
whatever it's called now) to easy testing other packages I write against
multiple versions of Python.  Assume I have separate 3.1 and 3.2 sandboxes
which are sibling directories of each other, and that I commit a change to
my 3.1 sandbox, how do I merge the change from 3.1 to 3.2?  Assume I don't
understand the instructions later on in the section titled "Using several
working copies."  It seems I would have to commit on 3.1, push to the
main central repository, merge to 3.2 (how?), then go through the compile,
test, repeat cycle again.  Is there no way to merge from my 3.1 repo to my
3.2 repo before committing (sorry for the pun) to a central push?

Skip