[Python-Dev] Suggest reverting today's checkin (recursive constant folding in the peephole optimizer)

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Mar 13 01:35:16 CET 2011

    Raymond> The social question:  if the person who designed, implemented,
    Raymond> and maintained the optimizer recommends against a patch and
    Raymond> another committer just checks it in anyway, do we care?

    Guido> - you're dangerously close here to putting your ego ahead of
    Guido>   things

Maybe, but we have historically tended to give some extra weight to the
primary author of at least modules and packages.  If someone wanted to make
a significant change to xml.etree, I think we would give reasonably large
weight to Fredrik Lundh's opinion on the change.  If the peephole optimizer
is largely Raymond's work, why should that be treated any differently?  Is
it just because it can't practically be distributed outside of Python proper
the way ElementTree can?

Skip