[Python-Dev] Merging 3.2 to 3.3 is messy because "Misc/NEWS"

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 06:29:34 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 25, 2011, at 6:18 PM, Jesus Cea wrote:
>
> On 12/11/11 16:56, Éric Araujo wrote:
>
> Ezio and I chatted a bit about his on IRC and he may try to write
>
> a Python parser for Misc/NEWS in order to write a fully automated
>
> merge tool.
>
> Anything new in this front? :-)
>
> To me, it would make more sense to split the file into a Misc/NEWS3.2 and
> Misc/NEWS3.3 much as we've done with whatsnew.  That would make merging a
> piece of cake and would avoid adding a parser (and its idiosyncracies) to the
> toolchain.

+1

A simple-but-it-works approach to this problem sounds good to me.

We'd still need to work out a few conventions about how changes that
affect both versions get recorded (I still favour putting independent
entries in both files), but simply eliminating the file name collision
will also eliminate most of the merge conflicts.

Cheers,
Nick.