[Python-Dev] Merging 3.2 to 3.3 is messy because "Misc/NEWS"

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sat Nov 26 17:16:44 CET 2011

Le 26/11/2011 06:29, Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>> To me, it would make more sense to split the file into a Misc/NEWS3.2 and
>> Misc/NEWS3.3 much as we've done with whatsnew.  That would make merging a
>> piece of cake and would avoid adding a parser (and its idiosyncracies) to the
>> toolchain.
>
> +1
>
> A simple-but-it-works approach to this problem sounds good to me.
>
> We'd still need to work out a few conventions about how changes that
> affect both versions get recorded (I still favour putting independent
> entries in both files), but simply eliminating the file name collision
> will also eliminate most of the merge conflicts.

Maybe I’m not seeing something, but adding an entry by hand does not
sound much better than solving conflicts by hand.

Another idea: If we had different sections for bug fixes and new
features (with or without another level of core/lib/doc/tests
separation), then there should be less (no?) conflicts.

Regards