[Python-Dev] range objects in 3.x

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 27 19:03:38 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Alexander Belopolsky
<alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM, Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> ..
>> In the math module, we used an f prefix to differentiate math.fsum() from the built-in sum() function.  That suggests frange() as a possible name for a variant of range() that creates floats.
>>
>> That works reasonably well if the default argument pattern is the same as range:   frange(10.0, 20.0, 0.5)
>
> +1 on adding frange() to math module or to the recently contemplated
> stats module.   For something that aspires to becoming a builtin one
> day, I would like to see something not focused on floats exclusively
> and something with a proper English name.

Um, I think you better read the thread. :-) I successfully argued that
mimicking the behavior of range() for floats is a bad idea, and that
we need to come up with a name for an API that takes start/stop/count
arguments instead of start/stop/step.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)