[Python-Dev] Heads up: Apple llvm gcc 4.2 miscompiles PEP 393

Xavier Morel catch-all at masklinn.net
Wed Sep 28 13:45:14 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-28, at 13:24 , martin at v.loewis.de wrote:
> The gcc that Apple ships with the Lion SDK (not sure what Xcode version that is)
Xcode 4.1

> I'm not aware of a work-around in the code. My work-around is to use gcc-4.0,
> which is still available on my system from an earlier Xcode installation
> (in /Developer-3.2.6)
Does Clang also fail to compile this? Clang was updated from 1.6 to 2.0 with Xcode 4, worth a try.

Also, from your version listing it seems to be llvm-gcc (gcc frontend with llvm backend I think), is there no more straight gcc (with gcc frontend and backend)?

FWIW, on 10.6 the default gcc is a straight 4.2

    > gcc --version
    i686-apple-darwin10-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5664)

There is an llvm-gcc 4.2 but it uses a slightly different revision of llvm

    > llvm-gcc --version
    i686-apple-darwin10-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build 5658) (LLVM build 2333.4)