[Python-Dev] Heads up: Apple llvm gcc 4.2 miscompiles PEP 393

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Sep 28 19:49:16 CEST 2011

> Does Clang also fail to compile this? Clang was updated from 1.6 to 2.0 with Xcode 4, worth a try.

clang indeed works fine.

> Also, from your version listing it seems to be llvm-gcc (gcc frontend with llvm backend I think),
> is there no more straight gcc (with gcc frontend and backend)?

/usr/bin/cc and /usr/bin/gcc both link to llvm-gcc-4.2. However, there
still is /usr/bin/gcc-4.2. Using that, Python also compiles correctly -
so I have changed the gcc link on my system.

Thanks for the advise - I didn't expect that Apple ships thhree compilers...

Regards,
Martin