[Python-Dev] Handling deprecations in the face of PEP 384

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 07:00:42 CEST 2012

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Yeah, PyImporter_GetMagicTag() looks like a public API, parallel with
> PyImporter_GetMagicNumber(). Maybe it was accidentally not documented?
> I'm not sure when it was introduced. Should we even deprecate it? I'd
> say do the same thing you're doing for GetMagicNumber().

I'd keep it and just make it a convenience wrapper for the call back
into the Python code.

> NullImporter_Type looks like it was accidentally not made static, so
> don't fret about that.

Yeah, the lack of the Py_ prefix suggests this one being visible is
just an accident of the implementation, and the name is unusual enough
that it never caused a symbol collision for any third parties.

Cheers,
Nick.