[Python-Dev] Conflicts [was Re: Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]]

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 15:13:58 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 12:48:45AM -0500, PJ Eby wrote:

> Do any of the distro folks know of a Python project tagged as
> conflicting with another for their distro, where the conflict does
> *not* involve any files in conflict?

In Fedora we do work to avoid most types of Conflicts (backporting fixes,
etc) but I can give some examples of where Conflivts could have been used in
the past:

In docutils prior to the latest release, certain portions of docutils was
broken if pyxml was installed (since pyxml replaces certain stdlib xml.*
functionaltiy).  So older docutils versions could have had a Conflicts:
PyXML. Nick has since provided a technique for docutils to use that loads
from the stdlib first and only goes to PyXML if the functionality is not
available there.

Various libraries in web stacks have had bugs that prevent the propser
functioning of the web framework at the top level.  In case of major issues
(security, unable to startup), these top level frameworks could use
versioned Conflicts to prevent installation.  For instance:  TurboGears
might have a Conflicts: CherryPy < 2.3.1

Note, though, that if parallel installable versions and selection of the
proper versions from that work, then this type of Conflict wouldn't be
necessary.  Instead you'd have versioned Requires: instead.

-Toshio