[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations, continued, continued again...

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Feb 1 18:46:56 CET 2012

Let's make one thing clear. The Python core developers need to be able
to reproduce your results from scratch, and that means access to the
templates, code generators, inputs, and everything else you used. (Of
course for stuff you didn't write that's already open source, all we
need is a pointer to the open source project and the exact
version/configuration you used, plus any local mods you made.)

I understand that you're hesitant to just dump your current mess, and
you want to clean it up before you show it to us. That's fine. But
until you're ready to show it, we're not going to integrate any of
your work into CPython, even though some of us (maybe Benjamin) may be
interested in kicking its tires. And remember, it doesn't need to be
perfect (in fact perfectionism is probably a bad idea here). But it
does need to be open source. Every single bit of it. (And no GPL,
please.)

--Guido

2012/2/1 stefan brunthaler <s.brunthaler at uci.edu>:
>> But let me put this straight: as an open-source project, we are hesitant to
>> accept changes which depend on closed software. Even if your optimization
>> techniques would result in performance a hundred times better than what is
>> currently achieved, we would still be wary to accept them.
>>
>> Please note that this is not because of lack of trust or better yet greed
>> for your code. We need to make sure
>> that under no circumstances our codebase is in danger because something
>> important was left out along the way.
>>
> I am positive that the code generator does not depend on any closed
> source components, I just juse mako for storing the C code templates
> that I generate -- everything else I wrote myself.
> Of course, I'll give the code generator to pydev, too, if necessary.
> However, I need to strip it down, so that it does not do all the other
> stuff that you don't need. I just wanted to give you the
> implementation now, since Benjamin said that he wants to see real code
> and results first. If you want to integrate the inca-optimization, I
> am going to start working on this asap.
>

>> Maintenance of generated code is yet another nuissance that should better be
>> strongly justified.
>>
> I agree, but the nice thing is that the technique is very simple: only
> if you changed a significant part of the interpreter implementation's,
> you'd need to change the optimized derivatives, too. If one generates
> the default interpreter implementation, too, then one gets the
> optimizations almost for free. For maintenance reasons I chose to use
> a template-based system, too, since this gives you a direct
> correspondence between the actual code and what's generated, without
> interfering with the code generator at all.
>
> --stefan

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)