[Python-Dev] Python 3 optimizations, continued, continued again...

stefan brunthaler s.brunthaler at uci.edu
Wed Feb 1 20:08:44 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 09:46, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> Let's make one thing clear. The Python core developers need to be able
> to reproduce your results from scratch, and that means access to the
> templates, code generators, inputs, and everything else you used. (Of
> course for stuff you didn't write that's already open source, all we
> need is a pointer to the open source project and the exact
> version/configuration you used, plus any local mods you made.)
>
> I understand that you're hesitant to just dump your current mess, and
> you want to clean it up before you show it to us. That's fine. But
> until you're ready to show it, we're not going to integrate any of
> your work into CPython, even though some of us (maybe Benjamin) may be
> interested in kicking its tires. And remember, it doesn't need to be
> perfect (in fact perfectionism is probably a bad idea here). But it
> does need to be open source. Every single bit of it. (And no GPL,
> please.)

I understand all of these issues. Currently, it's not really a mess,
but much more complicated as it needs to be for only supporting the
inca optimization. I don't know  what the time frame for a possible
integration is (my guess is that it'd be safe anyways to disable it,
like the threaded code support was handled.)
As for the license: I really don't care about that at all, the only
thing nice to have would be to have a pointer to my home page and/or
the corresponding research, but that's about all on my wish list.

--stefan