[Python-Dev] folding cElementTree behind ElementTree in 3.3

Eli Bendersky eliben at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 04:42:29 CET 2012

> The change was committed to the default branch. In 3.3, "import
> xml.etree.ElementTree" will automatically use the _elementtree accelerator,
> if available, and will fall back to a Python implementation otherwise. The
> documentation of ElementTree has also been updated to reflect this fact.

An open question remains on whether to deprecate cElementTree, now that
this change is in place.

Currently in 3.3 the whole cElementTree module is:

  # Deprecated alias for xml.etree.ElementTree

  from xml.etree.ElementTree import *

Would it be alright to issue a DeprecationWarning if this module is
imported? Then hopefully a couple of releases after 3.3 we can just dump it.

Eli