[Python-Dev] PEP 413: Faster evolution of the Python Standard Library

Matt Joiner anacrolix at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 04:32:36 CET 2012

Why not cut the (external) stdlib before each minor release?

Testing new language features is not the role of a public release, this is
no reason to require ownership on a module.

Evidently some modules have to ship with core if they are required (sys),or
expose internals (os, gc). Others are clearly extras, (async{ore,hat},
subprocess, unittest, select).

There are so many third party modules languishing because inferior forms
exist in the stdlib, and no centralized method for their recommendation and
discovery. Breaking out optional parts of the stdlib is an enabling step
towards addressing this. I would suggest Haskell, node.js and golang as
examples of how stdlibs are minimal enough to define basic idiomatic
interfaces but allow and encourage extension.