[Python-Dev] Spreading the Python 3 religion (was Re: PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3)

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Feb 28 16:33:46 CET 2012

On Feb 28, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>Well, when the code is committed I will update the porting HOWTO and push
>the __future__ imports first since they cover more versions of Python (i.e.
>Python 3.2). But I will mention the options that skip the __future__
>imports for those that choose not to use them (or have already done the
>work of using the u prefix in their code). Plus that doc probably will need
>an update of caveats that seem to bit everyone (e.g. the str(bytes) thing
>which I didn't know about) when trying to do source-compatible versions.

See, I think the emphasis should be on using the future imports and unadorning
your unicode literals.  Forget about this PEP except as a footnote.  This
strategy works today for most packages.  You might think that this is ugly,
but really, I think that doesn't matter (or maybe better: get over it! :).
Definitely don't let that stop you from porting *now*.

In the small minority of cases where this strategy cannot work for you (and I
admit to not really understanding what those cases are), then the footnote
about the reintroduction of the u-prefix should be enough.

And yes, the str(bytes) thing is a pain, but it too can be worked around, and
is such a minor wart that it should not delay your porting efforts.

-Barry