[Python-Dev] Spreading the Python 3 religion (was Re: PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3)

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 28 17:50:56 CET 2012

> If PEP 414 helps some projects migrate to Python 3, great.
>
> But I really hope we as a community don't perpetuate the myth that you cannot
> port to Python 3 without this, and I hope that we spend as much effort on
> educating other Python developers on how to port to Python 3 *right now*
> supporting Python 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2.

One thing that the PEP will certainly achieve is to spread the myth that
you cannot port to Python 3 if you also want to support Python 2.5. That's
because people will accept the "single source" approach as the one right way,
and will accept that this only works well with Python 2.6.

Regards,
Martin