[Python-Dev] Testing 3.3 framework builds on OS X

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Jul 10 19:27:31 CEST 2012

In article
<CAAgNOZ31o0Rpm8Uby14BzeTXrJ4TT2LFi0_sg8dNsgB+H9oBJQ at mail.gmail.com>,
 Marc Abramowitz <msabramo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anyone know how to build and run tests on an OS X build with
> ‹enable-framework, without installing the framework? I want to test
> that something works in my tree without polluting /Library/Frameworks
> with stuff that could mess up future tests.
>
> I've been mucking around with DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH but not having much luck.
>
> If I build with ./configure --enable-framework --with-dtrace && make
> and use DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=. then I suspect it's still loading from
> /Library/Frameworks, because my tests fail in a way that suggests it's
> not finding the new bits in my working directory.
>
> If I build with ./configure --enable-framework=. --with-dtrace && make
> and use DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=., then it fails with:
>
> dyld: Library not loaded: ./Python.framework/Versions/3.3/Python
>
> presumably because ./Python.framework doesn't have any .dylib's or .so's.

Read the updated Mac/README for more information about framework builds.
Here's a sample configure I use to minimize the chances of pollution
from other installed Pythons:

BASEDIR="$(dirname $(pwd -P))"
[ -n "${BASEDIR}" ] && ./configure --enable-universalsdk
--with-universal-archs=intel
--enable-framework="${BASEDIR}"/root/Library/Frameworks
--with-framework-name=pytest_10_7 --with-pydebug && rm -rf
"${BASEDIR}"/root/* || echo "ERROR: configure failed"

This is for 3.3 on 10.7.  For 3.2 and 2.7 at the moment you also need to
explicitly set MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.7 and CC=clang.

The framework path probably needs to be an absolute path, BTW.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org