[Python-Dev] 2to3 porting HOWTO: setup.py question

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 06:44:47 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:27 AM, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> On 22/07/2012 15:57, R. David Murray wrote:
>>
>> I'm not familiar with distutils, really, so you could be right about
>> what it is important to test.  I was commenting based on the code
>> snippet presented, which just deciding which "build" object to use.
>> If build_py_2to3 can be imported by python2 and subsequently screws up
>> the build, then yes the logic is incorrect.
>

> That can’t happen.  The *_2to3 classes (don’t forget build_scripts_2to3)
> only exist in 3.x and work with a version check or an import with fallback.
> There is no cross-version-build at all in distutils.

Python 3 check explicitly tells the reader that 2to3 should only be
used in Python 3. Otherwise everybody need to guess when this *_2to3
tools are triggered. As for me, I see no technical limitations why
*_2to3 can not be run by Python 2 (PyPy, RPython or whatever). Maybe I
don't have Python3, but want to build my package for Python 3. In
ideal world it is possible.
--
anatoly t.