[Python-Dev] Playing with a new theme for the docs

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Mar 21 20:39:18 CET 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:12 PM, Ned Batchelder <ned at nedbatchelder.com> wrote:
> On 3/21/2012 2:46 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Ned Batchelder<ned at nedbatchelder.com>
>>  wrote:
>>>
>>> You can use Ctrl-+ to increase the size of the text, and modern browsers
>>> remember that for the next time you visit the site.
>>
>> That doesn't mean the web designer shouldn't think at least twice
>> before specifying a smaller font than the browser default.
>>
> Yes, sorry, that was exactly my point earlier in this thread.  I was being a
> bit snarky with Serhiy.  Seems the standard here is for people to request
> their personal favorite tweaks, and then tell others that they can use
> browser customizations to get what they want.
>
> Guido, you encouraged us to use science, but only after describing my
> science-based maximum line-length suggestion as "coddling," then said we
> should let Georg get on with it, but only after reiterating your personal
> favorite tweak (which I happen to agree with).

I have a fair number of strong usability gripes about current (and
past :-) design trends, but I know I can't design a decent looking
website myself if my life depended on it.

> There's no way a committee (which this thread effectively is) will come up
> with a good design.  Everyone will dislike something about it.  I think it
> would be interesting to use the power of the web to provide docs whose style
> could be adjusted a few ways to make people happy, but that is probably more
> than anyone is willing to volunteer for, I know I can't step up to do it.

I think it's fine to have a bunch of folks submit their pet peeves
(and argue them to the death :-)  to the design czar and then let the
czar (i.e. Georg) decide.

> Personally, I think two Python projects that have focused on docs and done a
> good job of it are Django and readthedocs.org.  Perhaps we could follow
> their lead?

I think they are actually more trend-followers,and they seem to make a
bunch of the mistakes I've fulminated against here. But again, I'll
leave it to Georg.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)