[Python-Dev] PEP 418: Add monotonic clock

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 22:48:21 CEST 2012

On 2012-03-30, at 3:40 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> I still think the name "monotonic" give the wrong impression; I would
> be happy calling it steady.

Simple google search comparison shows that people ask about 'monotonic'
clock in python, not 'steady'.

How about following Nick's (if I recall correctly) proposal of calling the
OS function - '_monotonic', and a python wrapper - 'monotonic'?

And one more question: what do you think about introducing a special check,
that will ensure that our python implementation of 'monotonic', in case of
fallback to 'time.time()', raises an exception if time suddenly goes
backward?

-
Yury