[Python-Dev] docs.python.org pointing to Python 3 by default?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon May 21 14:18:03 CEST 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 9:42 PM, Georg Brandl <g.brandl at gmx.net> wrote:
> Apart from the "latest" one, all these URLs already work.

Yeah, I was just extending the scheme I already knew existed :)

> Of course, /2.7 is redirected to /, and /3.3 to /dev, etc.
> If required, the direction of these redirects can be changed, so
> that e.g. / goes to /2.7.
>
> What about:
>
> * Canonical:
>
> docs.python.org/2/
> docs.python.org/3/
>
> for latest versions of 2.x and 3.x
>
> docs.python.org/2.7/ etc.
>
> for latest minor versions
>
> docs.python.org/dev/
>
> for latest dev version.
>
> * Redirected:
>
> docs.python.org/  -->  either /2/ or /3/ or a "disambiguation page"
> docs.python.org/py3k/ -> /3/

Works for me. It also means we're covered if Guido ever finds a reason
to create Python 4000 :)

> I also like Martin's idea of offering more links between individual pages, not
> only the front-pages.

Definite +1 on that. I personally like Django's version selector (for
reasons stated elsewhere in the thread), but anything that makes it
easier to hop between versions would be good.

Cheers,
Nick.