[Python-Dev] Bumping autoconf from 2.68 to 2.69

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Tue Oct 16 10:04:46 CEST 2012

In article <20121016071236.0792D2500FA at webabinitio.net>,
 "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that we use a specific version of autoconf.
> The reason is that otherwise we end up with useless churn in the repo
> as the generated file changes when different committers use different
> versions.  In the past we have had issues with a new autoconf version
> actually breaking the Python build, so we also need to test a new version
> before switching to it.

Well, there was a test in the past for a specific version of autoconf
but I believe that was removed.  I see that the default branch
configure.ac contains AC_PREREQ(2.65) but the most recently checked-in
version of configure was generated with 2.68.  I understand about the
desirability of avoiding a lot of churn although it seems to me to not
be a huge thing; build breaking is another matter, of course.  If we are
going to mandate a specific version again, that should be documented and
checked for.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org