[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Wed Sep 12 21:27:32 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 7:02 AM, Éric Araujo <eric at netwok.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Lib/packaging is in the repository history, and in my backup clones, but
> it’s not visible in any branch head as we have no branch for 3.4 yet.  I
> can bring the directory back with a simple Mercurial command.
>
> However, it’s not clear to me that we want to do that.  At the inception
> of the project, we wanted a new distutils with support for the latest
> PEPs and improved extensibility.  Then we found a number of problems in
> the PEPs; the last time I pointed the problems out I got no reply but
> “find a PEP dictator and propose changes”.  And when I started the
> thread about removing packaging in 3.3, hundreds of replies discussed
> changing the whole distutils architecture, splitting the project,
> exploring new systems, etc., which is why I’m not sure that we can just
> bring back packaging in 3.4 as it was and continue with our previous
> roadmap.
>
> Cheers

+1 - FWIW, I'd like to see the previous project drive for
consolidation done without landing in the stdlib, /until/ you've got
something that folk are willingly migrating to en masse - at that
point we'll know that the bulk of use cases are well satisfied, and
that we won't need to be fighting an uphill battle for adoption.

If folk are saying 'I would adopt but its not in the stdlib', well - I
think thats ignorable TBH: the market of adopters that matter are
those using setuptools/distribute/$other_thing today.

I rather suspect we'll face things like 'I still support Python2.7'
more than 'its not in the stdlib' for now.

-Rob (who was just looking into what the state of the art to choose
was yesterday)