[Python-Dev] packaging location ?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 21:56:36 CEST 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Éric Araujo <eric at netwok.org> wrote:
>> “find a PEP dictator and propose changes”.  And when I started the
>> thread about removing packaging in 3.3, hundreds of replies discussed
>> changing the whole distutils architecture, splitting the project,
>> exploring new systems, etc.,
>
> Yes, yes, but that's just the same old drama that pops up every time
> this is discussed with the same old arguments all over again. We'll
> never get anywhere if we care about *that*.
>
> The way to go forward is via PEPs, fix them if needed, implement in a
> separate package, stick into stdlib once it works.
>
> //Lennart

I'm happy to note that as of version 0.6.28 distutils (the setuptools
fork) can now consume PEP 345 / 376 "Database of Installed Python
Distributions" installations. Entry points could probably go in as an
extension to the metadata, but at the moment they work as
entry_points.txt with no changes and would be harmlessly ignored by
"import packaging".