[Python-Dev] The end of 2.7

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sun Apr 7 23:29:02 CEST 2013

On Apr 06, 2013, at 05:02 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>This means we need to talk about how many more 2.7 releases there are
>going to be.

I'm all for putting stakes in the ground and clearly describing the future
life of Python 2.7, rather than the current indefinite status quo.  We talked
about this at Pycon, and a final maintenance release of 2.7 when 3.4 is
released, plus a few years of security-only source-only releases after that
seems entirely reasonable.

I would like to make a definitive statement as to 2.7's EOL because I think
that will spur more people to work on porting.  Just as 3.3 makes porting
easier than 3.2, I expect that as more people see the writing on the wall, and
we've reached the Python 3 tipping point (e.g. "wos" now means "wall of
superpowers :) we'll get even more feedback on porting difficulties that can
be alleviated in 3.4.  (Example, I was against re-adding the u-prefix, but I
was wrong!)

Thankfully, after October, I won't have to worry about 2.6 any more.

-Barry