[Python-Dev] Interested in GSoC 2014

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Dec 24 15:39:26 CET 2013

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 12:11:41 +0530, Prasad Joshi <prasadjoshi124 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in participating GSoC 2014. I have went through last
> year's eligibility criterion, I think I am qualified to participate. I
> know GSoC 2014 still has more than 2-3 months, however I would like to
> start early. Please let me know suggestions.
>
> After going through GSoC 2013 page
> (https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2013), I think I would be
> interested in Core Python or PyPy. Please let me know how should I
> start.

If you want to work on CPython or PyPy, the best thing to do is to
get involved in the community.  For CPython, that means following the
python-dev mailing list and exploring the bug tracker.  (pypy has its own
mailing list and bug tracker, and I'm sure they will respond there...it
is best not to cross post messages like this, by the way; I've removed
pypy-dev from the followups on this message.)

For CPython, the place to start is the devguide:

    http://docs.python.org/devguide

see mail.python.org for signup details).  There you can ask any questions
you want about the development process and get mentoring on fixing bugs,
which is the best way to get involved.

For any Python project you will be required to submit a patch on the
relevant project's tracker as part of your qualification, so getting
started on this now is a great idea.  I should warn you, though, that
the CPython team tends to only come up with GSoc projects at the last
minute...

--David