[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 15:51:45 CET 2013

On 3 February 2013 14:41, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> The neat thing about wheel is that you can install them without having the
> software used to build them. So we might try to provide a very simple wheel
> installer script with Python that did not even depend on DistUtils. You
> would be able to install pip etc with that tool. There is no need to put
> wheel directly into DistUtils.

The other side of the equation, adding a bdist_wheel command to
distutils should *also* be simple. As command classes are essentially
independent code, it's not even really going to violate whatever
remains of the "distutils is frozen" philosophy.

Is there any mileage to submitting a patch to the Python stdlib that
implements a bdist_wheel distutils subcommand and a wheel installer in
the stdlib? I'm willing to write that patch based on Daniel's existing
wheel code if no-one else is willing to, but only if there's likely to
be some level of support from python-dev (for example, if Antoine and
Nick are in general agreement on the principle, I'd be willing to
write the code and we could see where the subsequent debate leads).

Paul