[Python-Dev] BDFL delegation for PEP 426 (PyPI metadata 1.3)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 16:33:29 CET 2013

On 4 Feb 2013 00:54, "Paul Moore" <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 February 2013 14:41, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The neat thing about wheel is that you can install them without having
the
> > software used to build them. So we might try to provide a very simple
wheel
> > installer script with Python that did not even depend on DistUtils. You
> > would be able to install pip etc with that tool. There is no need to put
> > wheel directly into DistUtils.
>
> The other side of the equation, adding a bdist_wheel command to
> distutils should *also* be simple. As command classes are essentially
> independent code, it's not even really going to violate whatever
> remains of the "distutils is frozen" philosophy.
>
> Is there any mileage to submitting a patch to the Python stdlib that
> implements a bdist_wheel distutils subcommand and a wheel installer in
> the stdlib? I'm willing to write that patch based on Daniel's existing
> wheel code if no-one else is willing to, but only if there's likely to
> be some level of support from python-dev (for example, if Antoine and
> Nick are in general agreement on the principle, I'd be willing to
> write the code and we could see where the subsequent debate leads).

Adding a bdist_wheel command makes sense to me, and I agree it is the kind
of change that shouldn't cause setuptools any grief. The original trigger
for the distutils freeze was a ban on internal refactoring, so new features
that don't alter internal APIs should be fine.

My one real concern at this point is the signature scheme. We definitely
need one, so dropping it from the PEP isn't an option, but the choice of
JWS over S/MIME worries me. The two acceptable options I currently see are
to wait until JWS is approved by the IETF, or wait until an S/MIME based
wheel implementation is available. I'd love to be able to just accept the
wheel format as it stands, but absent a compelling pro-JWS story in the
PEP, it isn't going to happen :(

I'd also hold off on a wheel downloader for now, that side of things is
likely to be affected if/when distlib gets proposed for 3.4.

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com