[Python-Dev] cffi in stdlib

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 12:53:30 CET 2013

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:45 PM, Richard Oudkerk <shibturn at gmail.com> wrote:

>> if cpython supports it and you can load it using dlopen, it does work
>> then (it really is just building a C extension on the API level).
>

> On Windows ctypes has CDLL for libraries using the cdecl calling convention
> and WINDLL for libraries with the stdcall calling convention.
>
> I can't see any similar distinction in cffi's documentation.  Can cffi
> magically work out which calling convention to use, or are you restricted to
> the cdecl calling convention?

copy pasting from docs:

Windows: you can’t yet specify the calling convention of callbacks.
(For regular calls, the correct calling convention should be
automatically inferred by the C backend.) Use an indirection, like in
the example just above.

I think it means you can't use the ABI version and specify the calling
convention. It's a reasonable bug report (the calling convention on
API version works though)