[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Add reference implementation for PEP 443

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Jun 7 22:50:53 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jun 7, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Thomas Wouters <thomas at python.org> wrote:
> This isn't a new bug, but it's exposed by always importing weakref and
> atexit during interpreter startup. I'm wondering if that's really necessary
> :)

Importing it during startup isn't necessary per se; imports needed
only by the generic function implementation can and should be imported
late, rather than at the time functools is imported.

However, if pkgutil was/is migrated to using this implementation of
generics, then it's likely going to end up imported during startup
anyway, because at least the -m startup path involves pkgutil.

In short, the overall answer right now is, "maybe", and the answer
later is "rather likely".  ;-)