[Python-Dev] new Plan 9 (and family) port of v2.7.5

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Jun 11 19:25:09 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:57 AM, Jeff Sickel <jas at corpus-callosum.com>wrote:

> I have a set of patches I've developed based on the 2.7 branch that
> provides a working port of Python 2.7.5 to Plan 9 386 and amd64 builds (an
> arm version is mostly working, but will need a few more updates before
> being hauled off on the wagon).  Most of the changes, including mkfiles,
> are local to a Plan9 subdirectory.  There are a few changes to Lib/*.py
> files specifically site.py and sysconfig.py to make living in a semi-POSIX
> world tolerable with many current Python modules.
>
> Because Plan 9 does not have shared libraries, we must link in all the C
> modules we want at build time.  This means that I've included specific
> targets to pull in Mercurial sources during the compilation and linking
> phases. That brings us up to a current version of Mercurial 2.6.2.  There
> is no ssh support for cloning, but we do have a viable version of https:
> using TLS/SSLv3 that has worked well with bitbucket.  That said, I can
> prepare a patch from my mq work area and submit it upstream in one of
> various ways for review.

We have moved away from trying to support non-mainstream OSs directly in
the code base and prefer people to maintain a patched branch elsewhere.
That being said, if any of the changes are reasonable in general feel free
to submit patches at bugs.python.org.

> Is there a preferred method that does not require an initial `hg clone
> ssh://hg@hg.python.org/cpython`?

Not quite sure what you mean, but I assume you are asking about submitting
patches, in which case you can use an HTTPS clone. SSH access is only for
core developers to push changes to the main repo.

-Brett