[Python-Dev] stat module in C -- what to do with stat.py?

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Jun 20 23:55:22 CEST 2013

On 6/20/2013 4:53 PM, Victor Stinner wrote:
> 2013/6/20 Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com <javascript:;>>:
>> But isn't the real problem with this module in Python the fact that the
>> constants might be wrong? I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do
>> about that.
>
> Python is providing a stat module implemented in Python since 10 years,
> or maybe 20 years, and I don't remember that someone complained that
> constants are wrong.

This is serious, not argumentative: If there's really no concern that
the values be correct, then why implement it in C? Let's just leave the
python version with the hard-coded, usually-correct values.

My personal opinion is that having the correct values in C is the way to
go, and delete stat.py.

Eric.