[Python-Dev] IDLE in the stdlib

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Thu Mar 21 03:53:44 CET 2013

On 21/03/13 11:15, Terry Reedy wrote:

> getting back to CP versus IDLE...
>
>  From IDLE:
>
> Impressed? You should be. Open Start menu / Python33 / Python (command line) and both of those result (modulo the specific character) in
>    UnicodeEncodeError: 'charmap' codec can't encode character
>    '\xc8' in position 0: character maps to <undefined>

Terry, you have just done something I didn't think was possible: you've changed my personal opinion about IDLE. On the rare, rare occasions where I've had to use Python interactively on Windows, I use the standard python.exe command prompt, which I thought was easier than learning the (to me) quirks of IDLE's UI.

You've just given me a reason to use IDLE.

Thanks Terry.

--
Steven