[Python-Dev] PEP 443 - Single-dispatch generic functions

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri May 24 00:32:22 CEST 2013

On 24/05/13 01:04, Ethan Furman wrote:
> On 05/23/2013 07:58 AM, Łukasz Langa wrote:

>> I feel that the PEP should explicitly allow or disallow for the
>> implementation to accept dispatch on annotations, e.g.:
>>
>> @func.register
>> def _(arg: int):
>>
>> versus
>>
>> @func.register(int)
>> def _(arg):
>
> If the stdlib is still staying out of the annotation business, then it should not be allowed.

Perhaps it is time to relax that ruling? The standard library acts as a guide to best practice in Python, and I think that uptake of annotations has been hurt due to the lack of good examples. Also, anyone with the conceit that their library or module may someday be in the standard library cannot afford to use annotations at all.

So I'm tentatively +1 on allowing the annotation form in addition to the decorator argument form.

--
Steven